ﻣﻮﻗﻊ ﺻﺪﻱ اﻟﺒﻠﺪ

Supervisor
Elham AbolFateh
AR
Sunday 20 August 2017

Middle East

ISIS claims responsibility for Tartous terror attack

Monday 02/January/2017 - 12:01 AM
Sada El Balad
By Alaa Turki

The so-called Islamic State terror group (ISIS) has claimed responsibility for Syria’s Tartous suicide attack on Sunday.

Two suicide bombers detonated their explosives، killing at least two security officers in the Syrian coastal city of Tartous، Syrian state television reported after midnight on Sunday.

It said the officers were part of a security patrol that stopped the bombers، who then blew themselves up. Others were injured in the blasts، including civilians، state TV said. It gave no further details.

British-based monitoring group the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said there had been explosions from suicide bombers in Tartous and that at least two people were killed.

Tartous has not been targeted for several months، and has largely escaped the violence that has engulfed other areas of the country.

The city is part of President Bashar al-Assad's coastal heartland.

The incident took place as a fragile Russian and Turkish-backed ceasefire، welcomed by the United Nations، entered its third day with ongoing violations including clashes and air raids.

Comments

ads

Poll

What do you think about our new design?

What do you think about our new design?
ads