Check out these fun dolphin facts. Learn about different types of dolphins، how they communicate with each other and much more.
Read on and enjoy these interesting facts about dolphins.
• Compared to other animals، dolphins are believed to be very intelligent.
• Dolphins are carnivores (meat eaters).
• The Killer Whale (also known as Orca) is actually a type of dolphin.
• Bottlenose dolphins are the most common and well known type of dolphin.
• Female dolphins are called cows، males are called bulls and young dolphins are called calves.
• Dolphins live in schools or pods of up to 12 individuals.
• Dolphins often display a playful attitude which makes them popular in human culture. They can be seen jumping out of the water، riding waves، play fighting and occasionally interacting with humans swimming in the water.
• Dolphins use a blowhole on top of their heads to breathe.
• Dolphins have excellent eyesight and hearing as well as the ability to use echolocation for finding the exact location of objects.
• Dolphins communicate with each other by clicking، whistling and other sounds.
• Some dolphin species face the threat of extinction، often directly as a result of human behavior. The Yangtze River Dolphin is an example of a dolphin species which may have recently become extinct.
• Some fishing methods، such as the use of nets، kill a large number of dolphins every year.