ﻣﻮﻗﻊ ﺻﺪﻱ اﻟﺒﻠﺪ

Supervisor
Elham AbolFateh
AR
Thursday 30 March 2017

Middle East

48% of Jewish Israelis do not want Arab teachers for their kids

Sunday 19/March/2017 - 08:28 PM
Sada El Balad
Edited by Ahmed Moamar
Some 48% of Israeli Jews do not want Arab teachers educating their children and a similar percentage say they do not want their children studying alongside Arab students، a new survey reveals، as Israel Hayom said.
The survey also found that 42% of respondents do not want their children taught by ultra-Orthodox teachers، with the other 58% saying they would have no objection.
An overwhelming majority، 86%، say they do not oppose having Israelis of Ethiopian descent teach their children، and 83% say they have no objection to having their children taught by teachers from the national religious sector، the poll found.
The survey was conducted among 500 Israeli Jews by the Dialogue Institute for Kinneret College ahead of the college's annual conference on Israeli society this week.
Asked how they felt about mixed Jewish-Arab classrooms، the respondents were divided down the middle، with about half saying this would be undesirable.
Some 34% said they do not want their children studying with haredi students، while 12% oppose having their children study alongside Israelis of Ethiopian descent. Only 13% say they would not want classrooms that integrate national religious students with secular children.
Broken down by regions، willingness to have Arab teachers was lower in Jerusalem than nationally (41% in Jerusalem compared to 52% overall). In Judea and Samaria، there was less willingness to have a haredi schoolteacher (44% compared to 57% overall). The percentage of those who said they were open to having mixed Arab-Jewish classrooms was relatively low in Haifa (41% compared to the national 51%).
"The survey demonstrates that Israeli society has its work cut out for it،" said Kinneret College President Professor Shimon Gepstein.
"The population around Kinneret College is a microcosm of Israeli society، and especially of the northern Israeli periphery. The Galilee has a higher percentage of Arabs compared to other areas of the country، and the haredi population has increased over the past several years as more haredim moved there. If you add to these findings the socio-economic indicators and the percentage of college graduates in the Lower Galilee and among Arabs in the north، a sad picture emerges، one that requires us to shake the educational system to its core."

Comments

ads

Poll

What do you think about our new design?

What do you think about our new design?
ads