Egypt’s prosecution said it has handed over to Italian investigators documents requested by Rome to help the probe into the kidnapping and murder last year of an Italian student.
Giulio Regeni، a 28-year-old Cambridge University PhD student، disappeared in central Cairo in January last year and his body was later found by the side of a road.
“The Egyptian investigators gave their Italian counterparts the first bunch of documents requested by the Rome prosecution،” said a joint statement released by the Egyptian and Italian prosecutions.
It was released as a team of Italian investigators wound up a visit to Cairo.
Egypt had previously dismissed as “unconstitutional” a request by Italy to retrieve thousands of phone records from the areas where Regeni lived، disappeared and where his body was found.
Wednesday’s statement also said a deal would be signed later this month aimed at retrieving footage from CCTV cameras from a Cairo metro station Regeni is believed to have entered before being abducted.
In January، the prosecution said Cairo had approved a request to send experts from “the only German company specialised in retrieving data from the camera recording device” at that metro station.
Regeni’s case badly strained the traditionally close relations between Rome and Cairo.
The slow pace of the investigation prompted Italy to withdraw its ambassador from Cairo.