Civil protection forces managed to control fire، which broke out earlier today، Friday at Graeco-Roman Museum، in Al Atarin district، in Alexandria governorate، with no injuries or damages reported.
Initial investigations indicated that the museum was under construction، and the fire broke out as a result of a burning object thrown in the garbage.
Meanwhile، a report of the accident was released، and the public prosecution has been notified for further investigations.
In September، Directorate General of Civil Protection of the Ministry of Interior has managed to control 3،619 fire، handle 398 rescue crew reports،as well as deal with 72 reports of collapse incidents.
Noteworthy، the Graeco-Roman Museum is an archaeological museum located in Alexandria، Egypt. Erected in 1892، it was first built in a five-room apartment، inside one small building on Rosetta Street (later Avenue Canope and now Horriya).
In 1895، it was transferred to another، larger building near Gamal Abdul Nasser Street. The museum contains several pieces dating from the Graeco-Roman (Ptolemaic) era in the 3rd century BC، such as a sculpture of Apis in black granite، the sacred bull of the Egyptians، mummies، sarcophagus، tapestries، and other objects offering a view of Greco-Roman civilization in contact with ancient Egypt.
The museum's collection is the product of donations from wealthy Alexandrians as well as of excavations led by successive directors of the institution، both within the town and in its environs.
Certain other objects have come from the Organization of Antiquities at Cairo (particularly those of the Pharaonic period) and from various digs undertaken at the beginning of the century in Fayoum and at Benhasa.
Housed within a historic building whose beautiful neoclassical facade of six columns and pediment bears the large Greek inscription ‘MOYΣEION’ (MOUSEION). The museum consists of 27 halls and an attractive garden، which offer an excellent introduction to Egypt's Greco-Roman period.
The museum has been closed for renovations since 2005.As of June 2017، the building was still surrounded by scaffolding.