Harsh weather impedes search for missing Argentine submarine
Monday 20/November/2017 - 08:06 AM
As harsh weather hampered the search for the missing Argentine submarine San Juan، the submarine remained unaccounted for، but the navy would intensify its search operation، said the country's naval spokesman Enrique Balbi on Sunday، according to "Reuters".
The submarine with a 44-member crew on board went missing last Wednesday.
"We are coming across sea waves measuring at six to eight meters high، and wind force measures at forty knots، and it blows from the west to the southwest. Unfortunately، the weather in the next 48 hours will be like this. And I said before that such weather is not good for searching،" Balbi told the press.
The spokesman also said that neighboring countries such as Chile، Brazil and Uruguay had offered their help، and experts and that rescue planes from the United States had reached Argentina Saturday morning. Meanwhile، British ships with sonar equipment will follow San Juan’s route. All these will beef up search efforts، Balbi said.
So far، Argentina’s Navy has dispatched 13 vessels and three aircraft in hopes of finding the submarine.Balbi also said that supplies should not be a concern at present، as crew usually take food and oxygen enough for 15 days.
The seven signals detected by Argentina’s Defense Ministry on Saturday are not made by San Juan alone، he said. The satellite company is trying to analyze them.
"Some of the signals are naval numbers، and others are unknown. Right now، signal analysis is under way، and current data cannot generate useful information to locate the submarine،" said Balbi.