How long does it take for a smashed finger to heal?
Wednesday 04/April/2018 - 01:04 PM
A smashed finger is a common injury that occurs when a heavy object or an object with enough force behind it impacts the finger. Common causes include dropping an object on the finger، hitting it with a hammer، or closing a finger in a door. Medicsc Today said. A smashed finger may cause:
inflammation redness pain from mild to severe stiffness movement difficulty loss of sensation in the fingertip bruising on the skin or bleeding under the nail fingernail loss It is possible to relieve pain at home with no medical intervention، but there may be times when a smashed finger requires medical attention.
Seven tips for immediate relief Woman with smashed finger held in palm. A smashed finger may cause stiffness and loss of sensation. Common methods for immediate relief include:
icing or applying ice to the area resting elevation taking oral anti-inflammatories، such as ibuprofen (Advil) applying pain-relief creams cleaning and covering the injury moving the injured area gently Inflammation is the body's natural response to blunt force trauma.
Inflammation causes swelling، which helps to stabilize a bone or joint to reduce the chance of further injury to the area. Treating or reducing the swelling can make the finger feel better.
1. Icing Icing a smashed finger can limit the inflammation. It is crucial to never place ice directly on the skin.
Icing should be done for no more than 15 minutes and can be repeated several times a day. A person can place the finger on top of the ice pack to avoid additional pressure.
2. Resting A smashed finger should not be used after the injury. People should stop the activity they were involved in and decide if further medical attention is needed.
A person may need to to avoid physical activity، such as contact sports and lifting heavy objects until the finger fully heals.
3. Elevation Elevation can help reduce inflammation and is often a key to recovery. Elevation helps to reduce inflammation because it slows the flow of blood to the finger.
The finger should be raised above the heart، as this elevation makes it more difficult for blood to reach the finger.
4. Anti-inflammatory medications There are medications available over-the-counter (OTC) that can alleviate pain and reduce inflammation. Many are available to buy online، including:
aspirin ibuprofen acetaminophen 5. Pain-relieving creams Creams that contain medication and natural ingredients can be used to alleviate swelling and inflammation. Many are available to buy online.
6. Clean and cover A smashed finger may result in an open wound، such as a scrape or cut. People should clean the wound immediately when this occurs.
They should also cover the wound with a bandage and antibiotic cream if these are available.
7. Gentle movement While some injuries require rest، other cases of smashed fingers can benefit from gentle movement. When gentle movement is undertaken، it can help reduce inflammation and prevent stiffness occurring.
How do you know if you have a broken finger? If a smashed finger causes severe pain، a person should see a doctor، as they may have broken it.
Additional signs of a broken finger include:
dislocation around the joint deformity sharp pain at the site of the injury The finger may be broken and will require immediate medical attention if any of the above occur after an injury.