A new study has revealed which vehicles have the highest depreciation rates after three years، autoguide reported.
According to iSeeCars.com، the average vehicle depreciates 35 percent after three years، but not all vehicles have the same depreciation. In fact، the highest-depreciating vehicles lose between 46 and 52 percent of their value within three years، making them great cars to buy on the used car market.
For the study، iSeeCars.com analyzed over 4.1-million car sales، identifying models with the greatest loss in value after three years، which is when most leased cars enter the used car market.
For the list، luxury models outnumber non-luxury vehicles six to four. Imports also narrowly edge out domestics by the same margin.
10. Buick Enclave The Buick Enclave has an average three-year old used price of $26،620، equating to a 46.8-percent loss in value after three years. That’s 1.3 times higher than the average vehicle depreciation.
9. Cadillac SRX The Cadillac SRX also has 1.3 times the depreciation compared to the average vehicle، losing 47.2 percent of its value in three years. The average price for a three-year-old Cadillac SRX is $26،291.
8. Audi A3 The following seven vehicles all have 1.4 times the depreciation of an average vehicle، with the Audi A3 experiencing 47.9-percent depreciation after three years. Those shopping on the used car market can find a three-year-old A3 for around $21،120.
7. Volkswagen Jetta The Volkswagen Jetta depreciates 48.1 percent over three years، bringing used car prices to around $13،157.
6. Chrysler 200
The Chrysler 200 has actually been axed، so you’re stuck on the used car market if you really want one. The average three-year-old price is $14،011 which represents a 48.4-percent loss.
5. Ford Taurus Like the Chrysler 200، the Ford Taurus isn’t long for this world since the American automaker will be cutting production on its sedans. Getting your hands on a three-year-old Taurus will cost around $18،098 which is a 49.7-percent loss over three years.
4. BMW 3 Series The BMW 3 Series is one of the most popularly leased vehicles in today’s market، which means there’s plenty to go around after three years. The average price is $24،024 which is a 49.8-percent depreciation.
3. Mercedes-Benz E-Class Surprisingly it isn’t the Mercedes-Benz C-Class that makes it onto the list، but rather the more expensive E-Class model. The average price of an E-Class after three years is $34،010، equating to a 49.9-percent loss in value.
2. Volkswagen Passat Volkswagen’s midsize sedan loses 50.7 percent of its value in three years، bringing the average price to $14،906.
1. BMW 5 Series The vehicle with the highest depreciation after three years is the BMW 5 Series، losing 52.6 percent of its value – 1.5 times greater than the average vehicle. Shoppers can look to pay around $30،846 on the used car market.