ﻣﻮﻗﻊ ﺻﺪﻱ اﻟﺒﻠﺪ

Supervisor
Elham AbolFateh

Tourism

Julius Caesar had 'crazy bulge' on his head، 3D reconstruction reveals

Tuesday 26/June/2018 - 08:11 AM
Sada El Balad
Edited By: Nada Moustafa
Julius Caesar had a 'crazy bulge' on his head، a new 3D reconstruction of the infamous Roman leader has revealed، according to Dailymail.

The National Museum of Antiquities in the Netherlands has revealed a new bust based on a recent 3D reconstruction of his face and head.

The reconstruction was made using data from a 3D scan of a marble portrait in the museum's collection.

The bust was the idea of archaeologist Tom Buijtendorp، whose book 'Caesar in the Low Countries' was published at the same time.

'So he has a crazy bulge on his head،' he explained، according to Dutch newspaper، HLN.

'A doctor said that it this can occur in a heavy delivery. You do not invent that as an artist.'

Buijtendorp also said that realistic portraits were in fashion at the time.

The reconstruction was made by Maja d'Hollosy، an archaeologist and physical anthropologist who specialises in facial reconstruction، the museum said.

She used two busts، one from Leiden and one from Turin، and coins with picture of Caesar for the portrait.

The majority of the reconstruction was made on the basis of a 3D scan of the marble portrait known as the Tusculum bust.

It was found on the site of the ancient town of Tusculum، south of Rome، and is in the collection of the Archaeological Museum of Turin.

'The piece of sculpture is pretty damaged،' the museum said in a news release.

'That is why it was decided to supplement the disappeared parts، such as nose and chin، on the basis of a second portrait of Julius Caesar: the so-called Tusculum bust.'
The museum said the new bust will be on display until the end of August.

Last year archaeologists proved that Julius Caesar set foot on what is now Dutch soil، destroying two Germanic tribes in a battle that left 150،000 people dead.

The tribes were massacred in the fighting with the Roman emperor in 55BC، on a battle site now known to be in Kessel، in the southern province of Brabant.

Skeletons، spearheads، swords and a helmet have been unearthed at the site over the past three decades - but until now it has not been linked to Caesar's battle.

Now، carbon dating as well as other historical and geochemical analysis have proved the items dated to the 1st century، the VU University in Amsterdam said.

'It seems that after expiration of the massacre the bodies of the dead and weaponry were collected and deposited in an old Maas Bedding.

Comments

ads

Poll

What do you think about our new design?

What do you think about our new design?
ads