ﻣﻮﻗﻊ ﺻﺪﻱ اﻟﺒﻠﺪ

Supervisor
Elham AbolFateh

Arts & Entertainment

Oscars will have NO host for the first time in nearly 30 years after Kevin Hart debacle

Thursday 10/January/2019 - 12:32 PM
Kevin Hart
Kevin Hart
Edited by: Yara Sameh

The Oscars will reportedly have no host this year after the fallout with comedian Kevin Hart who stepped down from the role over resurfaced homophobic tweets، daily mail reported.

For the first time in three decades، producers will select A-list celebrities to present and introduce segments instead of having one person host the entire night، sources tell Variety.

With the 91st Academy Awards just six weeks away، producers are reportedly scrambling to coordinate the celebrity lineup for February 24.

The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences currently has made no new offers for an alternative host after Hart confirmed Wednesday that he would not be hosting despite a public push from Ellen DeGeneres to do so.

The last time the Oscars went without a host was in 1989. Instead، Rob Lower performed what was labeled a 'disastrous' performance with Snow White during the 61st Academy Awards.

This year's show is expected to 'play up a high-profile year for music in film، thanks to likely nominees Lady Gaga، Dolly Parton، and Kendrick Lamar،' sources tell Variety.

Hart confirmed that he would not host the Oscars during an unapologetic interview on Wednesday morning where he said he was 'over' discussing his homophobic tweet and had 'nothing to prove' to anyone.

The comedian appeared on Good Morning America where he repeatedly said he would no longer 'give energy' to the controversy which led to him stepping down as the host of next month's 91st Academy Awards.

Hart was named as the host of the 91st Academy Awards in December. He took proudly to social media afterwards to announce it but his elation was short-lived.

Within days، Twitter users had unearthed his old tweets and demanded that he be removed.

Despite the backlash، Hart refused to apologize and instead quit over the controversy، blindsiding the Academy and leaving them without a host.

He said the Oscars gave him an ultimatum; apologize or give up the gig. He chose the latter.

In Instagram posts afterwards، he said he had already addressed the tweets in the past and refused to dive back into the discussion، saying instead that it would only seek to 'feed the trolls'.

Later، he appeared on Ellen where both he and she called for viewers to embrace growth and change.

During their interview، she revealed that she had even called the Academy to ask if Hart could still host the show and said she was told he could.

Read also

Comments

ads

Poll

What do you think about our new design?

What do you think about our new design?
ads