US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that there is no contradiction between US President Donald Trump and other White House officials regarding the defeat of ISIS in Syria and stressed that Washington is still determined to withdraw troops from the war-torn country، the National reported.
Speaking during a joint press conference with Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry in Cairo on Thursday، Mr Pompeo also said that Egypt will continue to have a “great friend” in the US، which stands ready to provide political and economic support to its Arab ally.
Mr Trump last month said that he will withdraw America’s approximately 2000 troops from Syria because ISIS has been defeated. However، US National Security Advisor John Bolton said this week that the US would not pull-out until ISIS is eradicated.
When asked by reporters about contradictions coming from US officials، Mr Pompeo said that there “were no contradictions.”
“The commitment to fight ISIS is real and we will continue to do that،” he told reporters. “We will do it in Syria differently. Mr Trump's decision to withdraw has been made and we will do that. We will withdraw and continue America's crushing campaign against terrorists.”
He did not specify how the US will continue its campaign against ISIS in Syria after a pull-out and noted that US officials are currently engaging in ongoing “complex discussions” with Turkey on how to achieve a good outcome. Mr Pompeo also spoke about Washington’s deep commitment to Egypt، which he described as a strategic ally and partner.
We will continue to be a “steadfast partner” of Egypt، he told the press conference.
He said that discussions with Egypt’s foreign minister، included talks on counter-terrorism، the UN-backed Libya peace process، economic development and human rights.