A waitress at a restaurant in China suffered burns to her face after a large pot of boiling soup exploded when she tried to fish out a lighter a customer had dropped، daily mail reported.
A customer at the Haidilao restaurant in Kunming، Yunnan accidentally dropped his lighter into the hot pot، a traditional Chinese meal which involves cooking pieces of meat and other ingredients in a large pot of soup stock at the table.
Footage of the terrifying accident shows the server attempting to retrieve the lighter with ladles when the scalding liquid burst out and splashed on to the waitress and the diners.
As the hot pot is kept simmering at the table by an electric stove، temperatures of the broth، often mixed with chilli oil and other spices، could get as high as 200 degrees Celsius (392 Fahrenheit).
The waitress and the male customer were taken to hospital for treatment immediately، according to BTime.
The incident occurred on May 15 and Haidilao on Tuesday said they were still investigating the matter further.
A Haidilao spokesperson told BTime that the accident happened when one of the customers at the table dropped the lighter into the broth as he was passing it to his friend.
The customer suffered minor burns to his hand، she said، adding that the waitress is making a good recovery.
'We will implement additional training for our staff،' she added.
Hong Kong-listed Haidilao is China's leading hot pot chain with 300 locations all over the world. The popular restaurant is known for its over-the-top services including massages، manicures، shoe-shining and noodle-twirling performances.
A similar incident occurred in February in Chongqing when a customer threw a lighter into a hot pot and caused an explosion.